Tuesday 11 March 2014

Karma is a three headed hydra

Karma is a three headed hydra at its best. Unlike what the Hercules myth advocates, decapitating it is never the option. The past few months have been pivotal in shaping my view of the world. I see life with a clarity and transparency like never before. In fact, I think this is what is commonly referred to as maturity. From now on life will be a hectic ride of perspective changing and reconsideration perhaps until I reach my 30s and get to the so fervently advertised "stability" or what I'd rather call stagnancy. 

Back to that hydra of ours, if you cut one head three others will pop if I recall correctly. I do not believe in the supernatural, in fact, I am a firm believer in the empirical sciences. However I see Karma as a self assessment tool whereby we subconsciously punish or reward ourselves for the misdoings or good deeds of our daily life. The key to killing the hydra is not to do good. In keeping with my roots as an existentialist, I say the universe is indifferent about the value of your actions.  However, if you have been raised "right", you are not. Do not mislead yourself, you will always keep the lessons of right and wrong deep within your silent mind as you grow up and you will assess yourself based on them. Nietzsche went beyond good and evil but that road is a long pilgrim that not everyone is capable of undergoing. 
The road out of the karma loop lies in time and experience. It takes time for you to accept who you are: good, evil or more commonly neutral. What the pop culture failed to mention is that doing good is not the way to get good karma. At least that is how I see it. Good Karma comes from a mind at ease. Good karma comes when you know what you want, when you know who you are. Doing good for the sake of receiving good is a hypocritical version of denial. Doing good for the sake of doing good alone is a good trait that soothes the voices of your Super ego (excuse me for quoting Freud but I only believe in this part of his preposterous theory) yet by itself will bring you no guarantee that good shall be done to you

To end this on a cheesy note, I take the idiom "be yourself, everyone else is taken" and turn it into: discover yourself, it is never taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment